Research >> Economics
Real Average Hourly Earnings fell 0.4% in January
Real average hourly earnings for all employees fell 0.1 percent from December to January, seasonally adjusted, the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics reported today. This decrease stemmed from a 0.4 percent increase in average hourly earnings, which was partially offset by a 0.4 percent increase in the Consumer Price Index for All Urban Consumers (CPI-U).
Real average weekly earnings fell 0.3 percent over the month, as a result of the average workweek falling by 0.3 percent combined with the decline in real average hourly earnings.
Real average hourly earnings rose by 0.2 percent, seasonally adjusted, from January 2010 to January 2011. A 0.6 percent increase in average weekly hours combined with the increase in real average hourly earnings resulted in a 0.8 percent increase in real average weekly earnings during this period.
Posted: February 17, 2011 Thursday 08:30 AM